The UEFA Women’s Champions League round 2 draw has been made with ties including Real Madrid vs Manchester City and Wolfsburg vs Bordeaux.
In the revamped competition format, the round fixtures 2 on 31 August/1 September and 8/9 will decide the 12 teams that will join holders Barcelona and fellow direct entrants Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern München and Chelsea in the new group stage running from October.
Round 2 is split into two paths: the champions path and the league path. Both will consist of two-legged ties. The 15 teams progressing from round 1, among them 2006/07 winners Arsenal, have joined nine sides beginning at this stage, including record seven-time champions Lyon and two-time title holders Wolfsburg.
Round 2 draw
Sparta Praha (CZE) vs Køge (DEN)
Osijek (CRO) vs Breidablik (ISL)
Vllaznia (ALB) vs Juventus (ITA)
Twente (NED) vs SL Benfica (POR)
Apollon LFC (CYP) vs WFC Kharkiv (UKR)
Servette FC Chênois (SUI) vs Glasgow City (SCO)
Vålerenga (NOR) vs Häcken (SWE)
Levante (ESP) vs Lyon (FRA)
Arsenal (ENG) vs Slavia Praha (CZE)
Real Madrid (ESP) vs Manchester City (ENG)
Wolfsburg (GER) vs Bordeaux (FRA)
Rosengård (SWE) vs Hoffenheim (GER)
- Lyon’s five-year reign as champions was ended last season; they have a record seven titles overall.
- Wolfsburg have won this competition twice and Arsenal claimed the title in 2006/07.
- Køge and Real Madrid will make their European debuts in this round while Bordeaux and Hoffenheim came through round 1 on their first UEFA competition entries.
- Häcken previously entered as Göteborg.
- Juventus have an additional motivation to reach this season’s final, with the May showpiece to be held in their men’s stadium.
- Manchester City and Rosengård (as Malmö) have previously reached the semi-finals, while Breidablik, Glasgow City, Häcken (as Göteborg), Sparta and Slavia have all made the last eight in the past.
- Have never reached the last 16 on any previous entry under old formats: Apollon, Benfica, Juventus, Kharkiv, Servette, Vålerenga, Vllaznia.
- Arsenal knocked out Slavia in the 2019/20 round of 16.
- Apollon beat Kharkiv 3-0 in the 2012/13 qualifying round in Limassol.
First leg: 31 August/1 September
Second leg: 8/9 September
Group stage draw
Matchday 1: 5/6 October
Matchday 2: 13/14 October
Matchday 3: 9/10 November
Matchday 4: 17/18 November
Matchday 5: 8/9 December
Matchday 6: 15/16 December
Quarter-final & semi-final draw
First leg: 22/23 March
Second leg: 30/31 March
First leg: 23/24 April
Second leg: 30 April/1 May
Final (Juventus Stadium, Turin)
- The teams in each path were seeded into two pots, in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- Clubs from the same association could not be drawn against each other.
- The club drawn first in each tie plays the first leg at home.
The 11 winners of the round 1 finals join the three teams entering at this stage: the champions of the European associations ranked fifth, sixth and seventh. Seven teams will emerge from as many ties to enter the group stage.
The 14 teams were split into two pots: seeded and unseeded. The seven teams with the highest coefficients were seeded.
One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl, where they were shuffled. The first team drawn will play its first match at home against the second team drawn.
The same procedure was carried out with the remaining balls to complete all the round 2 pairings.
Sparta Praha* (CZE) coefficient 35.300
Glasgow City (SCO) 33.600
Twente (NED) 20.000
Breidablik (ISL) 17.000
Häcken* (SWE) 16.100
Juventus (ITA) 15.200
Apollon LFC (CYP) 14.200
Vllaznia (ALB) 10.800
Vålerenga (NOR) 9.800
WFC Kharkiv (UKR) 9.100
Servette FC Chênois (SUI) 7.600
Køge* (DEN) 6.900
Osijek (CRO) 6.400
SL Benfica (POR) 5.600
*Entering direct in round 2
The four winners of the round 1 finals join the six teams entering at this stage: the runners-up of the European associations ranked first to sixth. Five teams will emerge from as many ties to enter the group stage.
The ten teams were split into two pots: seeded and unseeded. The five teams with the highest coefficients were seeded. The draw followed the same procedure as as for the champions path.
Lyon* (FRA) 124.400
Wolfsburg* (GER) 97.100
Manchester City* (ENG) 79.700
Slavia Praha* (CZE) 52.300
Rosengård* (SWE) 49.100
Arsenal (ENG) 27.700
Bordeaux (FRA) 18.400
Hoffenheim (GER) 15.100
Real Madrid* (ESP) 12.800
Levante (ESP) 12.800
*Entering direct in round 2